Four generations of Tambussi in the name of hospitality.
Pei means source and is a place whose origin is lost in the mists of time.
A journey through time, back in decades and centuries, along paths traveled by merchants, pilgrims, knights in arms, heretics, bandits, smugglers: the salt route, the sea route, the via francigena, today the roads lose their their names, until a few decades ago the streets also had surnames that designated the type of road and therefore its meaning, mule track, cart track, carriage, truckable, and today we imagine our grandparents and grandparents’ grandparents driving animals full of saddlebags, and in these saddlebags the salt, anchovies, or grapes and chestnuts, and in so doing they put in communication the sea and beyond, the overseas lands and the great Po Valley, and together with salt and wine they brought ideas , news, hopes and fears: an army of lansquenets is descending on the peninsula!
In France they killed the king and all the nobles! Armies from all over the world, even Africans, have passed through these valleys: with one hundred elephants and one hundred thousand soldiers led by Hannibal, the Carthaginians defeated the Roman legions on the Trebbia and colonized the valleys of the area.
After Hannibal, after the Romans, here are the dark ages of the Middle Ages, the torments of faith, the Apennines is a land of hermits and witches.
The first certain historical source dates back to 1200. At that time Pei was part of the marquisate of Pregola. From the end of the sixteenth century it became a fief of the Malaspina and modern history began made up of trade from beyond to the sea, rice, grapes, wine, chestnuts, anchovies, the muleteers crossed the Apennines following low roads in the winter season, and along the faster ridges from the spring thaw and all summer and autumn until the first snowfalls.
For centuries the life of the Apennines was that of a mountain region, with an economy linked to the traffic of mule tracks and the resources of the forest and pastures. Since 1905 the Tambussi brothers, Geppo and Angiolino, managed the Pei inn. Geppo was the great-grandfather of Carlo, the current manager of the Capannette di Pei which arose in the 1910s as a summer resort. With the summer, Geppo closed the inn in the village and moved to the Capannette, where in addition to continuing to carry out the fundamental function of an animal change station and a stop for mule tracks, it hosted the first tourists, who came from Alessandria, Tortona, Voghera, Genoa. , and they were wealthy, professionals, lawyers, young ladies whom the doctor had recommended a vacation in the open air.
Summers at the Capannette were enlivened by the golden youth of Alexandria, Genoa, students from a good family who slept in the barn, while large white gazebo tents were erected in the lawn in front of the hotel.
With the improvement of the roads, the first cars arrived and in 1939 the building was enlarged: the large porch and veranda were built that still dominates the belvedere today. After the war, the management passed to Lino and Mariuccia, so many things changed, the 1950s, new forms of tourism, families on the seventeenth century, the opening of the ski lift and the growing popularity of skiing. Today it is the fourth generation of Tambussi to manage the Capannette di Pei, Carlo and his wife Mirella.